As I might have already mentioned on previous posts I have a bit of an obsession with nails… I love nail polishes and doing my nails!
Last year I went to the US for a couple of weeks and I decided to buy the SensatioNail gel nails kit, as I didn’t want to spend more money in salons. I used to pay between £15 and £20 for the shellac or OPI manicure and, most of the time, after a week my nails were already chipped (which made me very angry).
Anyway, I bought everything so I could do the gel nails myself at home:
- SensatioNail Pro 3060 LED nail lamp
- The essential kit with:
- Base & Topcoat
- Gel Cleanser
- Lint free wipes
- Buffer, Manicure Stick
- Gel nail polish – I got the French manicure and a red one.
- Removal tool
- Gel nail polish remover
It cost me around $50 but I must admit that I have been using everything for more than a year now and I’m so happy.
Gel nails at home – Step by step guide
Estimated time: 60 min – great results
Before you start, I would suggest placing everything you might need (listed above) on a table. Use a tablecloth to protect the surface. Once you are ready, it’s time to start:
- Prepare your nails by pushing the cuticle back and file your nails to the desired shape.
- Start buffering your nails with the pink buffer – if you don’t have the SensatioNail buffer or file you can use any. I do it when I can’t find the SensatioNail file.
- Wipe your nails or wash your hands to remove the dust.
- Decide which hand you will be doing first. I normally do the four fingers on my left hand, the other four on my right and then the big thumbs. Everyone says that it’s easier and this is the way that the salons do it (at least the salons I’ve been to)
- Apply the gel primer and allow it to dry for 30 seconds. This creates a thick layer and helps the gel polish stick better to the nail.
- Apply a coat of the gel base to the four fingers. I always run the brush along the tip as it prevents chipping. Place the fingers in the LED lamp and wait 30 seconds – the lamp will beep after 30 seconds, so you only need to wait for the beep.
- Select the gel colour and apply a coat – this time you will need to wait 60 seconds, till the lamp switches off. Repeat this twice for 2 coats.
- Apply the gel topcoat (which is the same as the base one) and place the fingers on the lamp for 30 seconds, same as you did when applying the base.
- Repeat the same process on the other hand and the thumbs.
- Use the lint-free wipe, or any wipes you have at home, to remove the sticky layer
- Your gel nails are ready to go!
The gel nails don’t normally last me for 2 weeks, although they do for some people. In my case, it normally lasts for a week completely perfect and starts chipping during the second week. However, I’m very pleased I bought it, not only because I saved loads money but because I can do it myself whenever I want without having to book any appointments!
Have you used any other brand to do gel nails?